When students begin their required work they must fill out a Christian Service Contract. The Contract is a form in triplicate that is available in Lower Arrupe Hall or in the school office during the summer. The contract must be signed by the student, a parent and the on-site adult supervisor at the placement. If you have questions, please call Scott Powers at 503-291-5463 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
Please review the Student Requirements and Responsibilities Summary. This is a basic overview of the school's expectations of students when they complete their Christian Service project.
"How to Begin Your Junior/Senior Christian Service Project"
Selecting a placement
When selecting an agency or program for your Christian Service project, consider first who will challenge you the most. Christian Service is a learning experience, and therefore a good time to work with people who make you uncomfortable, because you can grow tremendously by being uncomfortable. We also want you to consider your interests, talents and strengths, your schedule, and what transportation you will need to get to your placement. (Time in transit does not count toward your hours. Training hours can count up to 1/3 of your total hours.)The list of approved service placements is located at the bottom of this page. Most Jesuit students will choose from this list. If you wish to work at an agency not on this list, you must get approval from the Christian Service Office before starting any project (request an approval form in L.Arrupe, CS Office). To be approved you must be able to build a relationship with people who are marginalized by society, and you will need to identify an on-site adult supervisor who can guide you with your project and track your hours. Call Scott Powers, Christian Service Director, with any questions: 503-291-5463 or e-mail email@example.com
Starting work at your placement
- Call the agency which interests you and talk with the supervisor or volunteer coordinator about the position and the work you would do. When you visit the placement bring a Christian Service contract with you. (Available in L. Arrupe at school.) Get the contact information from the Opportunity List. If it's not on that list, you need to get approval from the Christian Service Director. Call or e-mail to request an approval form - and be sure to give us at least two weeks before starting to check it out.
- Set up a clear work schedule with the on-site supervisor (the adult with whom you will work most closely.) Treat your service as you would any job - be sure to call in if you are sick!
- Fill out the Christian Service Contract (available in L. Arrupe or in the school office during the summer) and make sure your on-site supervisor and parents also fill it out. Return the contract no later than the first five hours you work, but ideally before you begin any work.
Junior/Senior Christian Service Volunteer Opportunity List
Please Note: All service placements are grouped according to the people you will have the most contact with while working.
- Working with people who are homeless
- Working with people with disabilities
- Working with elderly people
- Working with women and children fleeing domestic violence
- Working with youth
- Immersion Trips
You might wish to find your own service project or create one yourself. If you see a need in the community that you want to help meet, this can be an exciting opportunity. Of course you must work in direct relationship with people who are marginalized, and you will need to identify an adult on-site supervisor who can guide you with your project and keep track of your hours. If the agency is not on our Opportunity List, you must get approval from the Christian Service Office before starting any project. (Request an approval form from us in L.Arrupe (or call or e-mail), and give at least two weeks for us to check it out before you plan to start.)