(last updated: September 2020)
Sophomore Service Project Theme: "Solidarity"
Fall 2020 Sophomore Service Reminders Video (4 min)
The sophomore year service experience is divided into two parts:
During the first semester, students are asked to examine the connections between scripture and their own lives through an 8-hour service project. The sophomore project focuses on the Catholic Social Teaching theme of “solidarity." Sophomore students will be asked to do the following:
- Choose to complete the project during the summer before or the fall of their sophomore year.
- Focus on walking in solidarity with one group of people who are marginalized in our society (ex. homeless, elderly, people with disabilities, etc.)
- Develop a plan to complete at least 8 hours of service -- either service from home or direct service. Student may find ideas on the JHS website or design their own project.
- Complete three parts of the project, each of which counts as an "assignment" in sophomore theology: Action Plan, Confirmation of Service, Reflection Paper.
- Submit Action Plan to Ms. Casey for approval BEFORE starting service.
- Submit Confirmation of Service and Reflection Paper by October 5th, 2020.
- Submit Action Plan to theology teacher for approval by October 5th, 2020.
- Submit Confirmation of Service and Reflection Paper by December 7th, 2020.
At the beginning of the second semester, students begin preparation for their junior/senior service project with a two-week orientation in their English and health classes to cover the basic project components, the philosophy behind the program, and an introduction to the available placements. Students must be forecasted for Christian Service and the Peace & Justice theology class in order to start their junior/senior service project. Students may begin work on their 65-hour junior/senior project after their sophomore year.
Sophomore Service Project Forms
- Students can find the Action Plan and Confirmation of Service forms, as well as reminders and ideas, in the Service Projects Canvas course for their class.